Propaganda - EOTO - WEEK 15

Propaganda is information.  It is used to publicize political views and dramatize the idea.  The primary job of propaganda is to influence a certain group of people; a target market.  Propaganda typically presents facts in order to cause its audience to be emotional of some sort.  Propaganda was used as a weapon during the American Independence and also during the French Revolution.  Today, propaganda still exists.  However, it is called journalism and advertising.  Propaganda is used every day and seen by people every day but we are so used to it!  During war, propaganda was extremely powerful because of the great support of the public.  It was used and very influential during all of the wars.  Propaganda can be found on television, the news, media programs, social media, and more.

Propaganda can be good because it is very effective and is a strong weapon.  It means to advertise and does not necessarily mean a bad thing; however, it can have its negative sides.  Propaganda can create a lot of conflicts though.  It was actually made illegal under international law.  Many people believed propaganda must end and people should not engage or contribute to propaganda.  Propaganda has the effect to impact society as a whole because it is what the public sees.  When propaganda is displayed, the public sees it and reacts to it.  This can cause tension, conflicts, and debates in societies.  It affects different segments differently.  Everyone reacts to different expressions of propaganda differently and it affects everyone differently.  Groups of people can be targetted by propaganda and everyone may react differently to it.  It is meant to send out a message and quite literally causes tension.  It can affect me greatly because I am part of society and I am constantly on social media so I see a lot of different types of posts.  Propaganda contains an emotional appeal towards people and I know everyone sees each propaganda display in their own way.  This goes for my family and friends as well.

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1057/9780230507944_4





Comments

About me

Hi, my name is Shea Sweeney and I am a sophomore at High Point University. I am a Strategic Communications major with a minor in Marketing. I am highly interested in Public Relations and social media marketing. I am not quite sure what exactly I want to do after college; however, I will figure it out soon!

On campus, I am involved with my sorority, Kappa Delta where I hold the position as Historian. I am also involved with On Point Magazine and am a website contributor and blogger for the website.

I am from a town outside of Orlando, Florida and have lived there since I was three years old. I am the oldest of 4 kids. I have one younger sister and two younger brothers. We also have 4 dogs so our house is super fun and crazy.

I am really looking forward to taking this class and I have heard amazing things about it from my peers.