EOTO- The History of Radios and How They Paved Way for Mass Media in an Educational Setting

Throughout the years, technology has been advancing drastically and has continued to change the world forever.  Each year, new technology is discovered and changes the way society works.  Let's talk about some of the most effective and influential technological discoveries of our time.  First, the radio.  Heinrich Hertz, a German physicist began studying radio waves and eventually discovered that they, in fact, can be transmitted wirelessly.  Then, in 1894, Guglielmo Marconi invented a device that can ring a bell from 30 ft away.  This then leads to numerous technological advances.  For example, Edwin Armstrong who expanded the concept of transmitters and allowed for FM radio to be born.  The militia was the first user of the radio transmitters and they used it in order to communicate from vessels at sea to bases on the ground.  Slowly, radios started being used for entertainment as well.  Radio has allowed for a new type of entertainment and media in society.  It has become a new kind of mass media and has become a quick way for people to find out about the news.  Radios have also been extremely convenient because they are constantly being broadcasted 24 hours a day.  Not only have radios been used for transmitting sounds and television signals but also events that are occurring and public service announcements.  Radios provide useful information to their listeners.  They are an instant and universal way of communication that has been upgrading and will continue to upgrade every year.  During the Great Depression, listening to the radio was free and costless while other forms of entertainment were not.  Radios became extremely impactful and very popular.  Eventually, radios were being used for all sorts of reasons.  Radios paved the way for using mass media in an educational setting.  Then, allowed teachers to think outside the box and use mass media as a way to educate.





Comments

About me

Hi, my name is Shea Sweeney and I am a sophomore at High Point University. I am a Strategic Communications major with a minor in Marketing. I am highly interested in Public Relations and social media marketing. I am not quite sure what exactly I want to do after college; however, I will figure it out soon!

On campus, I am involved with my sorority, Kappa Delta where I hold the position as Historian. I am also involved with On Point Magazine and am a website contributor and blogger for the website.

I am from a town outside of Orlando, Florida and have lived there since I was three years old. I am the oldest of 4 kids. I have one younger sister and two younger brothers. We also have 4 dogs so our house is super fun and crazy.

I am really looking forward to taking this class and I have heard amazing things about it from my peers.