The History of the Supreme Court - WEEK 3


The US Supreme Court was established in 1789.  The court was using for a variety of different meetings and discussions, however, it was originally used for discussing and resolving organizational procedures. The Judiciary Act was signed in 1789 by George Washington in order to establish the Supreme Court. It is made up of six different justices. These justices serve on the court.  The US Supreme Court number of justices soon then advanced to a total of 9 justices in 1869. The Supreme Court is a very prominent figure in our lives. It rules on cases that have the ability to affect situations in many life’s. The members of the Supreme Court can be impeached. These members include the president, judges and the chief of justice. The most famous and recognized Supreme Court case was Marbury vs. Madison. This case discussed the principle of judicial review. This is also known as when the US courts gained the ability to shut down laws, statues, etc.  This was written off by the Chief of Justice John Marshall.  This case was extremely important because it gave power of the judicial review for the Supreme Court. Marbury never received his job. Jefferson and Madison did not accept Marbury’s situation; however Marbury did receive his commission. In the early 20th century, the Supreme Court establishes the Fourteenth Amendment and in 1952, the Supreme Court established a landmark ruling in Gitlow Vs. New York. This then allowed for the doctrine of incorporation. The US Supreme Court has grown drastically since its birth and has been the creator of many laws, rules, and concepts and has changed the United States of America forever and will continue to do so. 

https://supremecourthistory.org/history-of-the-court/home-of-the-court/


Comments

About me

Hi, my name is Shea Sweeney and I am a sophomore at High Point University. I am a Strategic Communications major with a minor in Marketing. I am highly interested in Public Relations and social media marketing. I am not quite sure what exactly I want to do after college; however, I will figure it out soon!

On campus, I am involved with my sorority, Kappa Delta where I hold the position as Historian. I am also involved with On Point Magazine and am a website contributor and blogger for the website.

I am from a town outside of Orlando, Florida and have lived there since I was three years old. I am the oldest of 4 kids. I have one younger sister and two younger brothers. We also have 4 dogs so our house is super fun and crazy.

I am really looking forward to taking this class and I have heard amazing things about it from my peers.