Snapchat Employees Are Abusing Internal Tools - WEEK 4

A lot of people are familiar with the famous application, Snapchat. Snapchat is an easy way to chat and send pictures to friends without people saving them. However, in Snapchat, there is a memory folder where people can save their favorite pictures and videos on the app. This can be dangerous. Snapchat employees have the ability to spy on people’s accounts and get into their privacy.  Recently, it has been publicly announced that Snapchat employees are using internal tools to get into other people’s accounts.  Not only can they view private pictures and videos, but also your location, email, password, birthday, and more. Snapchat employees have actually ratted out their fellow employees saying that many of them have abused this power a few times.  This internal tool is known as “SnapLion.”  SnapLion was originally used in order to investigate and snoop on user’s accounts with the request of law enforcement; however, Snapchat employees began abusing this tool in order to snoop on people’s saved memories.  Snapchat is a very popular app which means it has room for a lot of damage. Over a hundred billion people use Snapchat every day which leads to more and more people getting in each other’s business. Nowadays, nothing is private. It is terrifying!  This is why it is so important to ensure that we keep our profiles and lives clean in order to protect ourselves. Everything we put out on the Internet will stay on the Internet.  It is so important that we do not allow abusive people with the power to log into our accounts, snoop, and look at our privacy. The one thing we can do is make sure they have nothing bad to find!  Stay clean and remember the Internet is forever!

https://www.wired.com/story/snapchat-employees-spied-private-snaps-trump-hack-security-roundup/

Comments

About me

Hi, my name is Shea Sweeney and I am a sophomore at High Point University. I am a Strategic Communications major with a minor in Marketing. I am highly interested in Public Relations and social media marketing. I am not quite sure what exactly I want to do after college; however, I will figure it out soon!

On campus, I am involved with my sorority, Kappa Delta where I hold the position as Historian. I am also involved with On Point Magazine and am a website contributor and blogger for the website.

I am from a town outside of Orlando, Florida and have lived there since I was three years old. I am the oldest of 4 kids. I have one younger sister and two younger brothers. We also have 4 dogs so our house is super fun and crazy.

I am really looking forward to taking this class and I have heard amazing things about it from my peers.